The mission of the Pinelands Ratepayers & Residents Association (PRRA) is to continue to make Pinelands a desirable place to live, work and visit. The PRRA represents the interests of the entire community of Pinelands.
The PRRA works to promote the neighborhood’s community cohesiveness, including its distinct historical character, by liaising with local government officials, providing information about the neighborhood to members and engaging members to gather and promote the ideas and interests of the entire community.
The PRRA is open to any member of the Pinelands community. To learn more about membership, please visit our membership page.
PRRA General Meeting
The PRRA chose not to hold public meetings over the past months. The Exco continue to meet via zoom. In lieu of the potential “third wave” the PPRA have decided to try and host a General Meeting via zoom. The proposed date is Wed 14 July at 7pm. Please keep this in mind and I will send details nearer the time. It will be good to see the familiar faces of our members, even though not in person.
The River Club Development (Update):
The following decisions were made regarding the River Club:
- The Western Cape Government Department of Environment Affairs and Development Planning (‘DEA&DP’) granted the LLPT an environmental authorisation
- The City of Cape Town Municipal Planning Tribunal’s approved the LLPT’s application for rezoning, for the development of the River Club.
These decisions were made by the respective authorities, despite significant public opposition to the development of the River Club which will have HUGE adverse effects on the community and the environment. These have all been ignored by the above authorities in their decisions. The appeals lodged against these decisions have also been dismissed. The Observatory Civic Association (OCA) has decided to place the decisions of the respective authorities under judicial review at the Cape Town High Court.
If you would like to contribute something to their funds towards the High Court expenses, no matter how small or large, https://www.backabuddy.co.za/oca-fundraiser
- They are also looking at reaching 50 000 signatures on “our petition by Tuesday 15 June. It currently stands at 49,797 so just another 203 signatures are needed.
- For anyone is interested in joining the march on June 16th – see attached info. The walk starts at Bokaap at 11am
- Regular updates are sent out by OCA and they have done such a lot of work to stand up for this Heritage area against this colossal planned development. There is more information at our petition site and at the OCA website.
- If you do want to assist in any way with their campaign, please contract Edwin Angless email@example.com. Everyone has skills that are useful!
The PRRA support the formation of a CID in Pinelands to address safety and service delivery concerns.
What is a CID?
A Community Improvement District (CID) is a is a non-profit company in a defined geographic area within which property owners agree to pay for supplementary and complimentary services set to enhance the physical and social environment of the area.
Typically, these would be services dealing with Urban Management issues like:
- Additional Public Safety Measures
- Cleansing Services
- Maintenance of Infrastructure
- Upgrading of the environment and
- Social Services